The West Linn-Wilsonville School District Middle School Programs have the same schedule across our three middle schools. According to the Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE) research over the last 40 years, successful schools for 10-15 year-olds has been delineated into 16 characteristics that are interdependent. The outcomes of the research are categorized into four important components that lead to student achievement:
1. Levels of interdisciplinary teaming combined with high common planning time.
2. Team size.
3. Levels of instruction, decision-making, and teacher norms consistent with educational practices.
The research provides us with a framework for the design of how we organize our teacher teams, how we organize time for students and teachers, and how we continue to enhance student achievement and socio-emotional development. Our daily schedule allows for:
· Longer periods of time defined for our Core subjects: Mathematics, Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies
· Access to a full Arts, World Language, and Wellness program for every student
· Access to Special Education support that is scheduled outside of the Core and Related Arts classes so that students can participate in a full academic schedule.
Participation in a rigorous, relevant, integrated Academy period that is citizen- and character-embedded curriculum within the Academy experience.
Every student at Athey Creek Middle School will participate in a period called “Academy.” This period, approximately 45 minutes every day, offers students opportunities to experience content-driven, project-based, integrated curriculum, academic support, and/or work-related exposure, such as Office Aide or Peer Tutor. Teachers will provide character-, citizenship-related issues that align with the class curriculum and outcomes. Examples of Academy are: Writing for Publication; Science Inquiry; Critical Reading Book Group; Historical Geography; Speech & Debate; Reading & Writing Lab. However, on your child's schedule they will be reflected as a Language Arts Lab or a Math Lab, just to show an example. Some may even say "extension".