Required Photography Equipment
This course is about making digital images. Students must have their own equipment to take pictures away from school. The school will provide digital SLR cameras for students to use during school hours only, but since they will need to have access to a camera with adjustable controls on a regular basis for assignments away from school, students MUST have access to at least one of the following types of equipment:
Please consult with Mr. Hyman before spending a lot of money on a camera.
- Smart phone with full manual camera app. These apps are usually available from Google Play or the Apple Store for free or a very nominal cost. Some possible apps:
- iPhone apps: http://www.imore.com/best-manual-camera-apps-iphone
- Android: Appcrawler camera apps with manual controls
- Point-and-shoot digital camera that has manual controls (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focus). Fully automatic cameras will not be as useful for learning these skills but may still be used. The school has a small number of cameras that students may check out for one day or over the weekend.
- Digital SLR camera. This is the best choice for students who are interested in exploring the full range of photography. There are many older cameras that can be found for reasonable prices on Craigslist, eBay, and Amazon. Also, it’s possible that someone you know might have a camera that they no longer use and would be willing to let you use. Please consult with Mr. Hyman before spending money on a camera.