ADVANCED ALGEBRA A 2018-19
Room: 221 Phone: 673-7600 x4698 (before 8:20am or after 3:10pm)
Help Times: 7:40am – 8:25am, 3:00pm – 3:30pm
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (best way to reach me)
- Come to class on time prepared (book, pencil, and calculator) ready to learn.
- Do your best (WORK HARD and SHOW YOUR WORK!) and take pride in everything you do.
- All assignments MUST BE COMPLETED IN PENCIL unless stated otherwise.
- Be a positive leader in the classroom.
- Be respectful of others, others’ property, and yourself. Think before you speak and choose your words carefully. Students are expected to work hard in class and to work from bell to bell.
- No cell phones or headphones are to be heard or seen without teacher permission unless it’s an emergency (see Mr. Schramm in this case). Students with phones out will lose ½ their points for the day as well as losing out on bonus opportunities.
- Tardy Policy
-You are TARDY if you are not in the room when the tone sounds for the start of class. Warm-up problems start at the beginning of class. Students will lose out on learning/review as well as HW points for not doing this work. Make up opportunities will be given if tardies are excused.
- Leaving Class / Bathroom – Locker Trips
-If for some reason you need to leave class it is imperative that you inform me of where you are going. I am responsible for your whereabouts and need this information. You must personally ask me if you need to leave the room. Please write your name on the board. Leaving the room without permission (or leaving for more than 5 minutes) will result in detention(s) and/or consequences from the WHS administration. Students are expected to be back in 5 minutes or less. The 1st and last 5 minutes of class are off limits to pass use (these times are reserved for warm-ups and exit tasks).
ASSESSMENT AND GRADING POLICIES
- Calculation of grades
- Daily work, homework, and computer work (30%):
Daily work is to be completed with appropriate steps shown (showing work) and turned in at the end of class, the beginning of class the next day, or at the end of a unit. 10 points are possible on each assignment unless otherwise noted. Students who do not understand the assignment are expected to get some help from me or other students. A “10” on a daily work assignment means it is on time, class work is done with appropriate work shown, and they have been engaged on their homework the entire time. Students are expected to communicate with other students so this will count as part of their grade, too. Daily work will be graded on accuracy on some occasions.
Organization and taking notes are important so your notebook may be graded from time to time in this class.
Extra credit/recovery points may be offered in this class. It will be recorded in this category.
Make-up points can be recovered before or after school. See Mr. Schramm for details.
Participation matters in this class. You need to be in class on time and prepared each day to do well
in this class. Students who do not participate in daily work and activities will lose some of their
points on a particular assignment.
Homework assignments will be given every week and will be graded a number of ways (accuracy, effort, or both). Partial credit will be given for late or incomplete assignments. We may be doing computer work and it will be graded on accuracy and effort.
Homework quizzes will be used frequently to check on how students are showing their mathematical process. These will be daily or weekly depending on time and will be part of students’ HW grade.
- Quizzes (25%)
Normally you will have one quiz per week to make sure you are keeping on top of the material. If you miss a quiz with a verified absence you need to make it up within two days or it turns into a score based on your test score (so we can pass them back).
- Tests / Projects (45%)
Tests occur about every three weeks. If you miss a test with a verified absence you need to make it up within two weeks or it turns into a zero. The final exam will be worth about 2 regular unit tests and students will be either supplied with formulas or will be allowed to use a notecard.
- Grades: A = 90% and up, B = 80%-89%, C = 70%-79%, D = 60% to 69%, F = below 60%
- Excused Absences
- Class progresses when you are absent. It is your responsibility to collect the missing assignments and any notes. Find someone who can assist you if you miss class. You have two days to make up an assignment before it is considered late. Coming in early is the best way to catch up with missed class.
- Late assignments are worth half credit and will only be accepted on or before the day of the chapter test. Late projects will be worth some points up to a certain date.
- If you are absent the day before a test and return the day of the test, you will be expected to take the test. (Tests are posted well in advance and review day does not include any new information).
- If you miss a test you will need to make it up within 2 weeks or it will become a zero. See me to make
arrangements for test make-up.
- Unexcused Absences
- Unexcused absences are not valid reasons for missing work. For an unexcused absence you will not be
allowed to turn in late work. A test or quiz missed with an unexcused absence is entered as a 0.
- Materials required for this class
- Graphing calculator or another scientific calculator (TI-83 Plus or TI 84 or TI-84 Plus are the best)
- Pencils, wired notebooks and folder OR 3 ring-notebook with sleeves for handouts
- Correcting pen in a fancy color
- Students should take responsibility for communication with their teachers.
- Assignments are accessed through my web-page from the school web-site.
- Check your grade/attendance every week.
- Students with grades lower than a C are required to come in before/after school once a week for help.
Please share this information with your parent(s)/guardian, complete the requested information, and have your parent(s)/guardian sign to indicate that they have read it as well. PLEASE PRINT.
Parent(s)/Guardian Name(s) ______________________________________________________
Parent(s)/Guardian Work Phone # or Cell # ___________________________________________
Parent(s)/Guardian Email _________________________________________________________
Parent(s)/Guardian Signature(s) ___________________________________________________
STUDENT NAME ______________________________________________________________
STUDENT SIGNATURE _________________________________________________________