Guiding Principles

  •  Graduation from high school is an exciting time for many families and students - filled with possibilities, opportunities, and uncertainties. During the school-age years, from Kindergarten to 12th grade, school structures are relatively consistent and predictable (with flexibility and individualization as necessary for students served by special education). As students move beyond high school, the range of possibilities and experiences grows much wider and more complex. Chances are that you have been asking, "What will happen after high school?"
    Adult Transition Services (ATS) are offered to students with disabilities who have graduated from high school with an alternative diploma or certificate, as well as to students who have left high school without earning a completion document. Adult Transition Services are designed to promote movement from school to post-school life for young adults up to age 21. Curriculum and activities assist students with developing skills necessary to be successful adults in their home, community, and work. 
    A total of six Adult Transition Program students graduated from the program in 2017-18.


    Students will successfully live, learn, and work in their community. 

    A Personalized Approach 

    ATS aligns curriculum and activities with each student's vision for post-school life. Student transition plans are created based upon interests, preferences, and needs using a team approach. ATS provides continued skill development supporting IEP goals in the following areas: 
    • Post-Secondary Education (Continuing Education)
    • Employment
    • Daily/Independent Living
    • Community Participation

    Key Components

    • Self-Advocacy and Student Voice
    • Parent Involvement
    • Inter-agency Collaboration
    • Community-Based Instruction
    • Outcomes-Based  

    Delivery Model 

    Specific services vary depending upon a student's individualized transition plan and Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Services are typically delivered in a classroom and/or community setting. Service time varies depending on the individual IEP and transition plan.   
    The home base for Adult Transition Services is at Arts and Technology High School in Wilsonville.
    If you are interested in learning more about Adult Transition Services in West Linn-Wilsonville, please contact:


    Planning My Way to Work - This document, published by the Oregon Council on Developmental Disabilities is a very helpful tool for students and families as they think about preparing for employment after school services end.

    Clackamas County Developmental Disabilities - Services for students and young adults with developmental disabilities in Clackamas County

    FACT - Family and Community Together is a great resource for students, young adults, and parents who experience disability

    Vocational Rehabilitation - VR provides services to help individuals with disabilities eliminate barriers to employment



    If I finished high school in another district and then moved to West Linn-Wilsonville, can I receive Adult Transition Services from the WLWV district?

    Yes. If you are 18-21 years old, have completed high school with a Modified or Extended Diploma (or Alternate Certificate) and you still have an active eligibility for special education, you can receive Adult Transition Services.

    If I turn 21 during the school year, when do services end?

    Adult Transition Services continue until the end of the school year during which a young adult turns 21. If you turn 21 after school starts in August/September, then you can continue to receive services until the end of the school year in June.