Welcome to Mrs. Melnychenko's Language Arts Grade 6
email@example.com Office Hours: Fridays: 8:30 - 9:00
What I would like students to gain from their year with me:
- To love reading, writing, listening and speaking as a life skill
- To see new vocabulary as useful tools to express their thinking
- To become a responsible learner - problem solving and advocating for themselves
- To be respectful of themselves and others - showing kindness and empathy
- To come to the class ready to learn with a willing attitude
- To develop a growth mindset - open minded about new tasks and ideas
Students should come to class prepared with journal, planner, pencil, reading material and binder. Expectations
The class blog will have all the daily information that can be reviewed, especially due to absences.
Homework will include reading daily for at least 20 minutes. A quarterly book report will be expected.
Class work that is not completed during our time together will become homework. If it is late or missing, points may be deducted.
Grading will occur as required with the gradebook being updated at least every two weeks.
Formative Assessments (30%) are steps in the learning process that can result in a Summative Assessment (70%).
Journal writing and oral presentation happen almost daily.
Novel studies: The Crossover, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, The Circuit
- Reading comprehension strategies, narrative writing, literary analysis, poetry, and collaborative discussion to connect to the novel are all addressed
- Short stories, vocabulary, literary elements, writing, speaking, listening and reading strategies will be on-going
Restart is our School Wide Read that connects all grade levels and staff in a community building engagement.
How you can help:
- Set aside a “screen-free” time, even if there is no homework to include face to face interaction with your child, reading a printed book, actively playing, etc.
- Have your student go through every teacher’s blog to be sure that they are on track
- Have your student regularly check grades to address missing work, etc.
- Be sure that they keep their planner up to date
- Have students keep a reasonable bedtime with devices out of the bedroom