What is the WLWV Internship Pathways program?
The Internship Pathways program is a career-based learning program where entering Sophomore, Juniors, or Seniors in high school gain hands-on work experience at a local business, organization, or in the school district. Internships are unpaid carefully monitored work experiences where a student is trained in specific career area. Internships do not lead to employment at the end of the internship.
Students learn job specific skills, build their resume, and explore a career path.
After logging 30 project hours and completing career-based assignments a student earns .5 elective high school credit. Students also have the option of earning 1 Clackamas Community College (CCC) credit ($10 fee, waived for those on free or reduced lunch). To earn HS/CCC credit a student needs to complete career-based assignments in addition to the 30 hours project time. Assignments include interviewing a professional, researching a career field, and updating your resume.
SUMMER APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED (closed June 7th)
Please check back this Fall for 2021-22 School Year Opportunities
TIMELINE for Summer Internships
- APPLICATION CLOSES: JUNE 7th (APPLICATION IS CLOSED)
- EMAILED TO SET UP AN INTERVIEW TIME: by June 7th (Sent to applicant's email provided in application)
- REMOTE INTERVIEWS HELD: June 7th through 15th (COMPLETED)
- NOTIFIED OF PLACEMENT BY EMAIL: by June 16th (COMPLETED)
- PARENT PERMISSION FORMS DUE: by July 5th (for internships starting in July) and July 26th (for internships starting in August) (COMPLETED)
- INTERNSHIPS BEGIN: end of July/early August (start time depends on the specific internship)
- INTERNSHIPS END: beginning of August/end of August (depending on the specific internship)
MENU OF AVAILABLE SUMMER INTERNSHIPS
- ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION INTERNSHIP:
Work with CREST staff to create and write lessons that CREST will deliver to primary students this school year. You will learn about science standards and how to communicate scientific information in easy to understand terms. This is a remote position.
DATES: This internship is 3 weeks in length starting the week of July 19th. Weekly Zoom meetings will be held on Monday afternoons (2-3:30pm).
- FINANCIAL COMMUNICATIONS INTERNSHIP: Work with business office staff to communicate financial information to the public using easy to understand graphics and written information. You will learn why it is important to communicate financial information to the public. This is a remote position.
DATES: This internship is 4 weeks in length starting the week of July 26th. Weekly Zoom meetings will held be on Wednesdays (1 pm until 2:30pm/3 pm)
- GARDEN HORTICULTURAL INTERNSHIP: Work with CREST staff to manage, plan, and maintain the school gardens at a Lowrie primary school garden, CREST garden, and and in Wilsonville. You will learn about soil health, how to reduce weeds, understanding seasonal crop rotation, and basic plant needs. This is a majority in-person internship that does however include some remote work as well. For example, you may be assigned remote work like creating simple garden directions, fact sheets on garden topics (like importance of pollinators, plant care sheets), and creating planting plans.
DATES: This internship is 3 weeks in length starting the week of August 9th. You will meet in-person two days a week Tuesdays and Thursdays from ~8 am until 11 am. You will be assigned approximately 4 hours of remote work per week as well.
- GRAPHIC ARTS INTERNSHIP: Create materials like a brochure, flyers, or educational worksheets for CREST. You will be trained to use Canva or Procreate to create these materials. This is a remote position.
DATES: This internship is 3 weeks in length starting the week of July 19th. Weekly Zoom meetings will be held on Tuesdays (10:00am-11:30am or 2:00pm-3:30pm).
- VIDEO INTERNSHIP: Create one or more educational science videos to support the CREST primary program. These videos will viewed by primary students this coming school year. You will be trained to use iMovie or can use another software or app of your choice. This is a remote position.
DATES: This internship is 3 weeks in length starting the week of August 9th. Weekly Zoom meetings will be held on Tuesdays (10:00am-11:30am or 2:00pm-3:30pm).
PAST HOSTING PARTNERS
We would like to thank the below community partners for connecting high school students to career-based learning opportunities.
2019/2020 INTERNSHIP PARTNERS
- City of West Linn Parks & Recreation
- Clackamas River Basin Council
- Clackamas Workforce Partnership
- Engaging Local Government Leaders (Josh Fike)
- Kids First Pediatric Clinic
- Metro Native Plant Center
- Oregon City Farmers Market
- Oregon Institute of Technology
- PAWs Animal Shelter
- Sundstrom Clinical Services
- Wilsonville Public Library
We would like to thank the below mentors for providing support and feedback to students during their internships.
- Charlie Hyman Photography
- Corrie Coston Photography
- Kim Elliott Photography
- Greater Oregon City Watershed Council (remote video)
- Metro Recycling (remote graphic arts)
- Nancy Steele Photography
- The Nature Conservancy (remote graphic arts)
CAREER TOUR PARTNERS
We would like to thank the below partners for hosting a career tour of your business.
LUNCHTIME CAREER CHAT PARTNERS
We would like to thank the below partners for offering your time to chat with our students during upcoming lunchtime career chats.
We would like to thank the below partners for presenting to classes about careers.
- Clackamas County Water Environment Services
- Clackamas River Basin Council
- Kaiser Permanente
- Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
INTERESTED IN HOSTING A YOUTH INTERNSHIP?
If you are a business or organization interested in hosting a youth internship or a student who has questions about internships please contact: Laura Nappi, Internship Coordinator, NappiL@wlwv.k12.or.us (503) 673-7000 ext 6348
DO YOU HAVE A CONCERN ABOUT YOUR INTERNSHIP?
Do you have a concern about your internship?
Are you an intern and have a concern about your internship, were injured, or had an uncomfortable situation with a person at your internship site? Please complete the Internship Concern Reporting Form. You can also contact the CREST Internship Coordinator directly at (503) 673-7000 ext 6348 or email NappiL@wlwv.k12.or.us