Hello, AP Gov students! Thank you for taking this class. I’m excited to work with you. Yes, we will work hard, but we also are going to learn a lot and, I hope, have fun. Our class is equivalent to a college-level introductory course on American government. Specifically, we’ll learn about our Constitution, government institutions like the presidency, Congress and the courts, individual liberties and rights, and the political system. We will discuss current events regularly so you can apply your learning to our world today.
My hopes for this course are that you will:
- Form a strong understanding of how our government and political systems work.
- Realize you can impact our government and political systems directly.
- Develop skills that will serve you in college, work and life.
- Be prepared for the AP exam.
- Enjoy this experience.
- Public Opinion and Media — 3 weeks, Chapters 6, 7
- Political Parties, Interest Groups, Campaigns, Elections — 7 weeks, Chapters 8, 9, 10, 11
- Constitutional Foundations of our Government System — 3 weeks, Chapters 1, 2, 3
- Federal Courts, Civil Liberties, Civil Rights — 7 weeks, Chapters 16, 4, 5
- Congress and the Budget — 4 weeks, Chapters 12 and 14
- The Presidency and the Bureaucracy — 3 weeks, Chapters 13 and 15
- Public Policy — 1 week, Chapters 17, 18, 19, 20
- Review for AP Exam — 3 weeks
- Local Government Project, Studies + national debates -- 6 weeks