There are many opportunities to judge or volunteer for the CREST-Jane Goodall Science Symposium.
This year the 20th annual CREST-Jane Goodall Science Symposium is going to take place in an entirely digital format! We need scientists and engineers from our community and beyond to serve as science fair judges. This interaction is often the most powerful part of a young person's experience of developing and presenting a project, and adds authenticity to students' learning experience. In a fully digital fair, here is what you can expect:
- Instead of exhibits, students will have an entirely digital project portfolio which will include a research plan, logbook, introduction video, and poster board. These portfolios will be available on March 4th, 2021.
- Interviews will take place on March 6th, 2021. Each student will participate in a group interview with a panel of judges; these conversations will take place via video conferencing.
- Science fair coordinators will be available to assist you with all technological obstacles during this process
An overview of judge expectations, qualifications, organization and the judging process can be found here: Judge Qualifications and Information.
High School: Saturday March 6th, 2020 from 9:00-4:30 (times are subject to change depending on student enrollment)
Middle School: to be determined
To register as a judge for one science fairs, please click here: Judge Registration.
- If you are a new user, you will need to create an account to before registering as a judge.
- Sign in, scroll down to the judge menu and select "Register for a fair". We are part of the Northwest Science Expo System (NWSES).
- Once in NWSES, select either the CREST-Jane Goodall Science Symposium or the WLWV-Middle School Science Fair. You will not be registered for any other fairs unless you select them.
- Select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd category judging preferences.
- When your registration is complete, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from the Judge Coordinator.
For any questions about judging or judge registration, please e-mail our Judge Coordinator, Ellen Haugh, at email@example.com.
VolunteerThere are many ways to get involved in preparation for the fairs and fair-day events. Some of our most important support needs are listed below. If you are interested in helping with any of these tasks, please contact Ellen Haugh firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assembling judge packets and judging materials
- Assisting with fair setup (checking in students, safety-checking project displays)
- Hospitality: (food service setup, hosting judge welcome table, photography, hosting judge's room)