Degrees and Certifications:
Our School Counselor
Mrs. Prior grew up in Ohio, had her first teaching and school counseling positions in Virginia, and moved to Oregon in 2018. She fell in love with elementary school counseling during her very first internship, and has been supporting students and families in that role ever since!
Please contact Mrs. Prior by completing this form, via email, or by calling the school.
What is the role of a school counselor?
Gone are the days of the “guidance counselor”. School counselors today are certified/licensed educators who improve student success for ALL students by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program. School counselors help all students apply academic achievement strategies, manage emotions, apply interpersonal skills, and plan for postsecondary options.
So, what does an elementary school counselor do?
- individual student academic planning and goal setting
- school counseling classroom lessons to build social and emotional learning
- small group counseling to build student’s academic and social emotional skills
- short-term counseling to students
- referrals for long-term support
- collaboration with families/teachers/ administrators/community for student success and support
- data analysis to identify student issues, needs and challenges