"BELL TO BELL" is the mantra for this discrete mathematics course. If students fully adopt the bell to bell philosophy, they will stay engaged in the learning process from the moment the first bell rings to start class until the moment the bell rings to end class. As engaged learners, the students will be able to complete almost all of the "work" associated with this class during the class period.HARD WORK IS HONORABLE . . . QUESTIONS ARE ENCOURAGED . . . NEATNESS IS A MUST . . . ACTIVE LEARNING IS ESSENTIAL . . . MATH IS FUN . . .EVERYTHING COUNTS!!Discrete A Scope and Sequence:
Discrete B Scope and Sequence:
- Number Systems (History of Number Systems, Operations and Conversions in Base 10 and Other Bases)
- Set Theory (Basic Set Notation and Concepts, Subsets, Operations with Sets, Venn Diagrams, Applications)
- Logic (Statements, Compound Statements, Negations, Conjunctions, Inverses, Disjunctions, Truth Tables, Biconditionals, Equivalent Statements)
- Methods of Counting (Fundamental Counting Principle, Sample Spaces, Trees, Permutations, Combinations, Applications)
- Patterns and Sequences (Number Patterns, Number Theory, Exponents, Scientific Notation, Arithmetic Sequences, Geometric Sequences, Fractals, Pascal's Triangle*, Golden Ratio*)
- Puzzles and Games !!!!!
*As time permits
- Statistics (Data Collection and Organization, Measures of Central Tendencies, Measures of Dispersion, Normal Distributions, Misuse of Statistics, Statistical Applications)
- Probability (Basic Probability Concepts and Notation, Probability of Events involving Not, And, Or, Odds, Conditional Probability, Expected Value, Practical Applications)
- Personal Finance (Estimation and Percents, Budgets, Income/Paychecks, Taxes, Banking, Credit, Loans, Simple and Compound Interest Applications, Mortgages, Investments, Risk Management)
- Puzzles and Games!!!!
- Graph Theory* (Topology, Directed Graph Applications, Euler Graph Applications, Hamilton Graph Applications, Trees)
- History of Math* (Famous Mathematicians and Math Problems)