Hundreds of scholarship search services are on the market, but many are scams. Beware of the following:
- Application or other fees
- Guaranteed winnings
- Time pressure
- Requests payment before any information is given
- Claims “a national foundation” has selected you to receive a scholarship or “you are a finalist” in a contest
- Mail drop for a return address, no telephone #, operating out of a residence
- Don’t be fooled by an “official” sounding name. Just because a company uses words like “National”, “Federal”, “Foundation”, or “Administration” in its title doesn’t mean it is a legit operation.
Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information posts names of services caught in fraudulent practices.