Board-Superintendent Operating Agreements
Board-Superintendent Operating Agreement
The purposes of this biennial agreement are to operate collaboratively and create an atmosphere for mutual success and clarify expectations of the Board/Superintendent team.
Board's Expectations of the Superintendent:
- Work toward becoming a team with board members.
- Respect and acknowledge the Board’s role in setting policy and overseeing the performance of the Superintendent.
- Work with the Board to establish a clear vision for the school district and prepare preliminary goals annually.
- Timely inform the Board of all critical information and data including the latest in educational research and important happenings within the district.
- Listen closely and provide follow up information to board members on concerns and issues they have referred to the Superintendent to close the communication loop.
Superintendent’s Expectations of the Board:
- Recognition of the Superintendent as the educational leader of the school district, including, careful consideration of each recommendation made by the Superintendent.
- Assistance in gaining acceptance and support in the community by in part, sharing the successes and failures of the school system with the Superintendent.
- Show district staff the respect and consideration due skilled, professional employees in public and at board meetings.
- To increase transparency and set the Board and Superintendent up for success, timely inform the Superintendent of all critical information, data and issues.
- Willingness to abide by its own rules, policy and code of ethical conduct, displaying integrity of the highest order.