World Language Honor Society
About World Language Honor Society
World Language Honor Society is an opportunity for students currently enrolled in a world language class at West Linn High School. Membership signifies a student's dedication and passion for language and making global connections. Members further pledge to promote friendship and understanding between their country and others, in the hope that all may live in peace.
Applications for membership can be downloaded from the links below. World language teachers will make also hard copy applications available to students in class. While each nationally-recognized society may differ slightly by language in terms of membership criteria, the application process is the same for each language. Please refer to your respective application below for any language-specific criteria.
Important Dates 2019-2020
Wednesday, 2/19/20 - Membership payment ($20) due to bookkeeper (please keep receipt to attach to application)
Friday, 2/21/20 - Application, personal statement, and receipt due to world language teacher
Wednesday, 4/15/20 - RSVP attendance for Induction Ceremony to world language teacher
Monday, 4/20/20 @ 6:30pm in Performing Arts Center - World Language Recognition Night
*For new society inductees, Senior Honors Cord recipients, and Senior Seal of Biliteracy recipients.
Unfortunately, our World Language Recognition Night has been postponed indefinitely. We are committed, however, to celebrating our students in one way or another, and as soon as we have more information, it will be sent out to all new inductees, Senior Honors Cord recipients, and Senior Seal of Biliteracy recipients.
Please note: Membership certificates, Honors cords, and Seal of Biliteracy medals will be mailed out at a later date. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
- French & Japanese: All grades can apply
- Chinese & Spanish: Sophomore or higher can apply (Exception: Freshman enrolled in AP)
- All: Currently enrolled in Level 2 or higher of your world language
- Chinese, French, & Spanish: Complete Semester 1 of your language with an A- (90%) or better
- Japanese: Minimum grade requirement from Semester 1 is established at the discretion of the Japanese Chapter Sponsor
- All: Hold a cumulative language course GPA (unweighted) of 3.5 or higher
- All: Hold a cumulative overall GPA (unweighted) of 3.0 or higher
Applications by Language
The application process for the 2019-2020 school year is now CLOSED. Applications for the 2020-2021 school year will be available at the start of second semester (January 2021).