Adult Transition Services (18-21)

  • ATS-map Guiding Principles
    Graduation from high school is an exciting time for many families and students - filled with possibilities, opportunities and uncertainties. During the school-age years, from Kindergarten to 12th grade, school structures are relatively consistent and predictable (with flexibility and individualization as necessary for students served by special education). As students move beyond high school, the range of  possibilities and experiences grows much wider and more complex. Chances are that you have been asking, "What will happen after high school?"

    Adult Transition Services (ATS) are offered to students with disabilities who have graduated from high school with an alternative diploma or certificate, as well as to students who have left high school without earning a completion document. Adult Transition Services are designed to promote movement from school to post-school life for young adults up to age 21. Curriculum and activities assist students with developing skills necessary to be successful adults in their home, community, and work.
    ats-msn Mission  

    Students will successfully live, learn, and work in their community.
    sched-atsATS Calendar  

    Click here to view the calendar

    support-atsA Personalized Approach

    ATS aligns curriculum and activities with each student's vision for post school life. Student transition plans are created based upon interests, preferences and needs using a team approach. ATS provides continued skill development supporting IEP goals in the following areas: 
    • Post-Secondary Education (Continuing Education)
    • Community College Support
    • Employment
    • Daily/Independent Living
    • Community Participation
    jigsaw-ats Key Components  
    • Self-Advocacy and Student Voice
    • Parent Involvement
    • Inter-agency Collaboration
    • Community-Based Instruction
    • Outcomes-Based 
    • Connections with Employment 
    • Connections with Community College
     ats-delmodDelivery Model  
    Specific services vary depending upon a student's individualized transition plan and Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Services are typically delivered in a classroom and/or a community setting. Service time varies depending on the individual IEP and transition plan.   
    Incoming and Current ATS Students, click here for a slideshow with more information about our services and structure for the 2022-2023 school year. Slideshow Spanish version 
    The home base for Adult Transition Services is:
    The Heumann Center

    If you are interested in learning more about Adult Transition Services in West Linn-Wilsonville, please contact: 


    • Planning My Way to Work - This document, published by the Oregon Council on Developmental Disabilities is a very helpful tool for students and families as they think about preparing for employment after school services end.
    • Clackamas County Developmental Disabilities - Services for students and young adults with developmental disabilities in Clackamas County
    • FACT - Family and Community Together is a great resource for students, young adults and parents who experience disability
    • Information about employment services to support students served by special education
      • Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) - VR is a state agency that helps youth and adults with disabilities to overcome barriers to employment: VR website - Oregon DHS
      • Youth Transition Program (YTP) - YTP is a school-based service designed to help develop job skills and connect students with Vocational Rehabilitation. WLWV has transition specialists that work with Art Tech HS, West Linn HS, Wilsonville HS, Adult Transition Services and CREST. Contact your school-based transition specialist for more information about YTP:


    If I finished high school in another district and then moved to West Linn-Wilsonville, can I receive Adult Transition Services from the WLWV district?

    Yes. If you are 18-21 years old, have completed high school with a Modified or Extended Diploma (or Alternate Certificate) and you still have an active eligibility for special education, you can receive Adult Transition Services. If you have copies of your IEP or other paperwork from your previous district, it would be really helpful to provide that information to the school when you enroll.

    If I turn 21 during the school year, when do services end?

    Adult Transition Services continue until the end of the school year during which a young adult turns 21. If you turn 21 after school starts in August/September, then you can continue to receive services until the end of the school year in June.

    Do I need to attend Adult Transition Services for a full school day?

    Adult Transition Services (ATS) are designed to be individualized to your needs. Some students attend Adult Transition Services for a full school day. Others choose to attend for a partial day. For example, one student may attend classes at ATS in the morning to learn budgeting skills, and then go to a part-time job in the afternoon. Another student may attend classes at Clackamas Community College three days a week and then come to ATS two days a week to work on independent living skills.